Re: [teacherartexchange] Need Video/DVD Info-long reply

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 19:02:03 PST

On Nov 20, 2007, at 6:05 PM, KPRS2 wrote:

> Art Educators,
> Do you have problems with Subs who don't follow your plans and
> have kids do
> "whatever" they want in your classes.
>

> I would take my students and sit them down and say that they
> disrespected
> YOU by doing what they did. I am not so innocent to think that
> students
> don't feel a bit freer when I am not there, but I can say with much
> confidence that my students wouldn't do anything like that.

I think San D has some wise advice and observation. Having been a day
to day sub for 2 years before I got a permanent position , I can say
it was the worst job I ever had. ( And can also say most times, I
did not have adequate plans) The hardest thing for a sub is
discipline because you don't know their names or habits or or
anything. Subbing is "on the spot" decision making and it's hard hard.

I have found that kids, even high school kids, will act out and do
unexpected things simply because YOU are not there. Whether you
want to admit it or not, you are their mommy. And when mommy
abandons them they act out. They get scared that what is familiar
will not come back -- even the older ones. Here's another
thought... I was out for a week when my mother died. The sub
came in and criticized my procedures and teaching and tired to re-
teach. My kids responded with behavior I would have never expected
because I was being disrespected. You never know.

My bottom line is please, let's not put all subs in the trash
barrel. It's a hard hard job, with no reward or recognition.

As for videos
I love art and LOVE art history but I have yet to find a art video
that doesn't put me to sleep. If you want to anesthetize put on a video.

Patty