Re: [teacherartexchange] EASY way to teach paper weaving?

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 10:58:50 PST

Hi Donna,
    I belive that paper weaving is best done after an introductory
experience with simple cardboard looms and large yarn. This
experience I would start in kindergarten. It is best to precut the
yarn warp and weft pieces. My older students helped with cutting the
notches--I used an uneven number--into the cardboard. When I could
get them released from their classrooms, they often volunteered to
help their K buddies. With paper weaving, we even colored the cut
warp strips different colors so it was easier so see the slits. And
I used the terms "OVERwhere" and "UNDERwear," which got the students
to giggling tout de suite (straight away!)

                                        Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus, who saw the Lady and the Unicorn
tapestries in the Musée du Moyen Age in Paris!