[teacherartexchange] Another Novel - My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 10:22:35 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Another book that might interest you.....

My Name Is Red
by Orhan Pamuk (Author), Erdag Goknar (Translator)
http://www.amazon.com/My-Name-Red-Orhan-Pamuk/dp/0375706852

From Library Journal
In 16th-century Istanbul, master miniaturist and illuminator of books
Enishte Effendi is commissioned to illustrate a book celebrating the
sultan. Soon he lies dead at the bottom of a well, and how he got
there is the crux of this novel. A number of narrators give testimony
to what they know about the circumstances surrounding the murder. The
stories accumulate and become more detailed as the novel progresses,
giving the reader not only a nontraditional murder mystery but insight
into the mores and customs of the time. In addition, this is both an
examination of the way figurative art is viewed within Islam and a
love story that demonstrates the tricky mechanics of marriage laws.
Award-winning Turkish author Pamuk (The White Castle) creatively casts
the novel with colorful characters (including such entities as a tree
and a gold coin) and provides a palpable sense of atmosphere of the
Ottoman Empire that history and literary fans will appreciate.
Recommended. Marc Kloszewski, Indiana Free Lib., PA
Copyright 2001 Reed Business Information, Inc.