[teacherartexchange] Children's Books About Art and Artists (long post)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 09:42:36 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am going through my folder.....

Suggested by Jan H.

Some books all suggesting the AB and/or collage style are:

It's Still A Dog's Life, by Susan Roth

Roberto, The Insect Architect, by Nina Laden

Smokey Night, By Eve Bunting, Ill. By David Diaz

Tibet - Through the Red Box, by Peter Sis
From Roberta D:

All by Jan Greenberg. She is out of St. Louis and has written
several kids books that are worth looking at. Jan Greenberg wrote some
wonderful books on art - the first six are for elementary kids and the last
two would be for MS/HS. I think she has a new one that is on Thomas Hart
Benton - maybe by that name? (does anyone know about this?)

"Chuck Close -Up Close"
"Action Jackson" (Jackson Pollack)
"Romare Bearden - Collage of Memories"
"Runaway Girl - Artist of Louise Bourgeois"
"Vincent Van Gogh"
"Mouse Paint" (pre-K thru first grade)
"Painters Eye"
"Sculptors Eye"
From a 2003 Getty post that I made:

Teaching Art With Books Kids Love: Teaching Art Appreciation, Elements of
Art, and Principles of Design With Award-Winning Children's Books
by Darcie Frohardt (Illustrator)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1555914063/103-5393879-8421421?vi=glance
or http://makeashorterlink.com/?D1C532E84

When Pigasso met Mootisse - Nina Laden.
Katie and the Mona Lisa--Nina Laden
Katie Meets the Impressionists--James Mayhew
The First Starry Night--Joan Shaddox Isom
Camille and the Sunflowers: A Story About Vincent Van Gogh--Laurence Anholt
Picasso and the Girl with a Ponytail: A Story About Pablo
Picasso--Laurence Anholt
Degas and the Little Dancer: A Story About Edgar Degas--Laurence Anholt
Leonardo and the Flying Boy--Laurence Anholt
Once Upon a Lily Pad: Froggy Love in Monet's Garden--Joan Sweeney
Bijou, Bonbon and Beau: The Kitten Who Danced for Degas--Joan Sweeney
A Blue Butterfly: A Story About Claude Monet--Bijou Le Tord
A Bird or Two: A Story About Henri Matisse--Bijou Le Tord
Marie in the Fourth Position: the Story of Degas' The Little
Dancer--Amy Littlesugar
A Boy Named Giotto--Paolo Guarnieri
Michaelangelo's Surprise--Tony Parillo
Antonio's Apprenticeship: Painting a Fresco in Renaissance
Italy--Taylor Morrison
Marguerite Makes a Book--Bruce Robertson
The Starry Night--Neil Waldman
Pish, Posh, said Heironymous Bosch--Nancy Willard
Emmas Rug--Allen Say
Charlotte in Giverny--Joan MacPhail Knight
Anna's Art Adventure--Bjrn Sortland
Angela Weaves a Dream: The Story of a Young Maya Artist--Michelle Sola
Squeaking of Art: The Mice Go to the Museum--Monica Wellington
Not in the House, Newton!--Amy Hest
The Ink Keepers Apprentice--Allen Say
Painting the Wind: A Story of Vincent Van Gogh--Michelle Dionetti
Linnea in Monet's Garden--Christina Bjork
Art Dog--Thacher Hurd
You Can't Take a Balloon in the Metropolitan Museum--Robin Preiss Glasser
You Can't Take a Balloon in the National Gallery--Jacqueline Preiss Weitsman
any of the Harold and the Purple Crayon books by Crockett Johnson
From Denise P

"Camille and the Sunflowers" by Laurence Anholt (VanGogh)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/4643?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

"Roberto The Insect Architect" by Nina Laden (architecture)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811824659/102-5256817-0740149?v=glance

"The First Starry Night" by Joan Shaddox Isom (VanGogh)
http://www.cbcbooks.org/html/first_starry_night.html

"The Pot That Juan Built" by Nancy Andrews Goebel (Mexican Pottery)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584300388/102-5256817-0740149?v=glance

"Dream Carver" by Diana Cohn (Oaxacan Wood Carvings)
http://www.americas.org/bookstore/product_7533

"Uncle Andy's" by James Warhola (Andy Warhol)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/4323?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

"Abuela's Weave" by Omar S. Castaneda (S. American weaving)
http://www.allbookstores.com/book/1880000202

"The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush" by Tomie dePaola (Native Americans)
"The Art Lesson" by Tomie dePaola (general- about being in art class)
http://www.tomie.com/main.html

"Dinner At Magritte's" by Michael Garland (Rene Magritte, Surrealism,
Dali) http://www.book-reviews.ws/book-reviews/0525453369

"Kente Colors" by Debbi Chocolate (African weaving)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0802775284/102-5256817-0740149?v=glance

"Tessellations" by Pam Stephens (M.C.Escher)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/4723?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

"The Cave Painter of Lascaux" by Roberta Angeletti (Lascaux cave paintings)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/4719?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

"Me and Uncle Romie" by Claire Hartfield (Romare Bearden)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0803725205/102-5256817-0740149?v=glance

"Tar Beach" by Faith Ringgold (quilting, Faith Ringgold's artwork)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/4075?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

"Mouse Paint" by Ellen Stoll Walsh (mixing secondary colors)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0152002650/102-5256817-0740149?v=glance

"A Big Mistake" by Lenore Rinder (turning mistakes into art)
Can't find this one online!

The "Dropping in on" series is good- I only have them on video
(Matisse,Picasso, Rousseau)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/4734?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

The "Adventure In Art" Series by Prestel is wonderful (Crystal
Productions catalog, page106)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30/sort/2a/page/2?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

"Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists" series by Mike Venezia
is fabulous (Crystal Art Productions catalog, page 105)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30/sort/2a/page/18?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30/sort/2a/page/19?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30/sort/2a/page/20?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30/sort/2a/page/21?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30/sort/2a/page/22?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

"Linnea In Monet's Garden"- I have the video
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/3903?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b

The "Art For Children" series by Chelsea House publishing was very
disappointing- too long, small, and very expensive (Crystal
Productions catalog, page 107)
http://crystalproductions.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30/sort/2a/page/5?osCsid=22ca62386ced4095a245177e449e468b
I have a very very long list of suggested general children's books for
teacher art. Let me know if you want that again.
I couldn't find it in Getty archives.....

In 2003, I offered to create a list for IAD. One person offered to
help. That wasn't enough interest to warrant my time.
At that time, @rt Room had a pretty good list already and I didn't
want to reinvent the wheel (so to speak). I did ask Dr. Roland if he
still has his list as @rt Room is no longer on line.

If you post a reply to this - be sure to remove the content and only
add your new book listings (as this is quite long already).
Also, Getty Members, remember to remove my email address from your posts.

Regards,

Judy Decker