[teacherartexchange] paper weaving with primary kids

---------

From: June Covington (jcovington2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 08:48:16 PST

Paper weaving is not easy for most kids, they really don't have any
previous skills to build on. I teach relatively bright children of
relatively affluent parents at a private school. They have a very low
threshold for frustration.

I think it is simply one of those things you keep working at until you
master it (like bike riding). I show them how all the weft strips
slide out if I do it wrong and stay put if I do it right. The
majority of my students are shocked when I don't sit down and do it
for them, I let them be frustrated. But, I don't let anyone off the
hook either! When they do finally conquer the weaving they are so
very proud. Most parents don't understand what a challenge it is for
their children do anything that does not involve pushing buttons.

But, as to mastering it in one or two class periods,. if you can
"borrow" 4-5 older students from another class to coach the kids that
will reduce the tension in the room. Sometimes all they need is
someone to sit nearby and cheer as they succeed with each row.

Best wishes,
June Covington