RE: [teacherartexchange] Need Help With Difficult Parent

---------

From: Amy Broady (abroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 18:03:12 PST

Here I am, about to dispense advice when I haven't even road tested
it...what about offering the Dad a copy of Daniel Pink's book?

I have not read it yet, but I have heard great things about it, and it is on
the tip top of my list to read when I can. If you have read it, as I know
many art teachers have, perhaps you could judge whether or not it might be a
helpful resource in this situation.

Also, have you heard of Dennis Hwang, the Google Doodle artist? (You can
"Google" him and learn more about him on Wikipedia.) I heard him speak at
the TAEA Conference earlier this month...he is a webmaster for Google...a
truly gifted techie...but is revered worldwide for the fun doodles (a casual
word for quite thoughtful, creative designs!) he creates with the Google
logo for holidays and special occasions.

Art and lucrative careers are not mutually exclusive...if only Max's Dad
could open his eyes and his mind. Perhaps you could convince him that you
both have (dare I assume) the same hopes for Max--a rewarding career and the
ability to support himself while using his gifts and abilities to contribute
to society.

Also...perhaps compromise could be reached by Max attending a university
that offers both art and engineering. Columbus is one education option...but
there are others that Max could consider that might be more likely to gain
Dad's support. He could at placate Dad perhaps by at least considering and
applying to a university that could offer both.

I teach elementary, so I write all this from the heart, but not from
experience.

Best wishes to you and Max...keep us posted!
Amy in TN