Re: [teacherartexchange] Need Help With Difficult Parent

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 15:46:17 PST

I'm going to keep Jen's response intact because it good stuff for all
of us art teachers trying to direct our students to art careers
where they won't be fighting to make a living.
I am initiating a new course next year in 3-D animation and
illustration.

All this is just fuel for my fodder that the art industry is way
ahead of where we are as art teachers. Oh yep, THEY have to know what
is good design, but we also have to be on top of the speed of the
industry demands. I question every day what I need to convey as
opposed to what they need to know. I'm an absolute old fogie, but I
also know I have to get on top of the skills.

If any one saw last weeks Sixty Minutes you will understand how much
the technical stuff is imperative to success. We can no longer be
so way behind the speed of the changes and where are kids need to
go. We have to find new FASTER ways to teach them what is good.
And I am convinced that is just how it is. I'm on too many art
lists to hear the same old stuff over and over again . I want to
hear the same new stuff and how it's being implemented.

Let's hear the new stuff.

Thank you Jen for bringing to light some real world demands.

Patty