Re: [teacherartexchange] Difficult parent

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 12:18:09 PST

A short story.............

I was in the same situation 40 years ago as my grandfather who went
to Yale was a lawyer wanted me to do the same. His father went to
Yale and was in law. So on through the family they all went to Yale
and became Lawyers.

I went with his wishes and applied to Yale for law and was accepted.
As I was finishing my senior year, I had won the Bank of America
award for art at my school and my art teacher sat me down outside. He
asked what I was going to do? When I said I was going to Yale, he
cringed and said that I could do well in art and I should do what I
like and not what others want. I thought about this and finally I
came to the decision to go into Art.

My Grandfather was so mad that he cut me out of his will, and never
talked to me again. I went to Art school found my wife and decided
to go into teaching for a short while as my most influential person
was my high school art teacher. I taught for 37 years and am now
retired. I am glad I was in the Art world and teaching because I
loved it, and the time went by quickly. I could have made more money
in law, but not make a difference that we all make as educators.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA