Re: [teacherartexchange] Need Help With Difficult Parent

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 11:34:42 PST

The kid is really into animation and the like... digital media. So
mechanical design would be pretty cool, although I think he is more
interested in developing films and that sort of thing.

Still, since we're coming into a global marketplace, we are using a
lot of illustration and graphic design fields to help communicate
ideas to others who may not speak our language (or speak it well) so
it is becoming more and more important to have artists around. I
heard a quote somewhere that "art is the new literacy." I think it's
really true! We are being bombarded with image information all the
time and don't even realize it.

Max's Dad has a very limited view of what it means to be an artist.
He wants the kid to go to one specific school and to be a mechanical
engineer or something like that... he's really misinformed about a lot
of the possible fields that combine engineering and design. And, yes,
it does have a lot to do with moolah... he wants the kid to be
financially successful (what parent doesn't) but doesn't really give
much merit to what the kid wants to do.

It's heartbreaking, really. I had the same problem. My Dad was
hell-bent on me doing anything BUT art. I went against him and became
an art teacher -- something I saw as sort of a compromise. It worked
out. I am doing what I love, and I'm making decent (enough) money.
My Dad even volunteered to work as a sub at my school because he loves
this place as much as I do. Maybe I should get my Dad to talk to
Max's Dad. :) (Kidding -- I really fear that there isn't much
anybody can tell Max's Dad that will make him appreciate the arts. I
think he is a caveman.)

Becky