RE: [teacherartexchange] Need Help With Difficult Parent

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 11:21:50 PST

So... why does his dad think they are two different subjects? He could
study engineering at a school that is totally hands on and more like a
an art school, or he could study art at a school that was very
traditional in it's thinking.
  An elegant solution in engineering/science is one with aesthetic
properties. Math, science and art are not independent, but
interdependent... understanding the properties of materials that you are
working with is just the beginning.
What about Calder, Rube Goldberg, Ganson, on and on and on... so many
artists/scientists - how wonderful that his child is able to do both and
recognize the higher level of reflective thinking that art requires. I
have had both gifted artists that I have encouraged to go into
engineering, and gifted math students that I encouraged with art -

Parent and child really need to research more -
It sounds like it is more about the money/potential earnings than a
child's interest and passion.