Re:[teacherartexchange] Difficult parent

---------

From: Deanna Bowers (dbowers_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 10:47:28 PST

I can certainly sympathize with you, as I am sure many of us can. I saw
one of my wonderful former students at Costco with his mother. He was a
VERY intelligent student and an amazing sculptor! Well, he happily told
me that he had graduated college with a degree in sculpture. Then his
mother said "yeah, thanks a lot. Now can you find a job for him?"
This is my 11th year teaching art and I have had students go both ways.
I have many that have gone on to art schools or to major in art and are
quite successful. I also have those who had sooo much talent and went on
to work in factories or become drug addicts. I have one who did go to
school to become an engineer and came back to thank me for all I taught
him because he said it was art and creativity that has allowed him to
create medical devices to help heart patients. (and he is still doing
art too!) I myself had a parent that was scared that I was an artist,
and didn't want me to go to art school because she feared I wouldn't
have a "real job." It breaks my heart about this boy "Max," because it
is clear what his dream and desire is, and HE ISN'T AFRAID to pursue it
(true sign of success), and that is what is important here, not
statistics and numbers.
However, I did go to a conference last year called "Learning in the Arts
Cyberconference: At the Heart of What Matters for 21st Century Success."
They presented a lot of the evidence you are looking for. I am not sure
it will all be here, but I found a link with some video and resources
and maybe you can find some gems. Here it is:
http://ci.sbcss.k12.ca.us/vapacyberconference/

Good luck, tell us out it works out. Deanna Bowers, California