RE: [teacherartexchange] help

---------

From: Debbie Nicholas (Debbie.Nicholas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 06:01:02 PST

My project on Feminist art actually began in August and I have read and
read and read various articles and books on the subject. I know these
questions are broad but I was just wanting some input from this broad
body of art teachers. I will say that some of my ideas about feminism
have changed during my research. I suppose the spark for this project
came when I watched Pollock and really began looking at Lee Krasner's
work. I wondered what would have happened if Krasner had put as much
effort into marketing her works as she did in marketing Pollock's how
different the story might have ended. Last spring my research project
was on Red Grooms, his wife, Mimi Gross, was really the one with the
ideas behind the Ruckus projects. Mimi Gross although an artist in her
own right has not received as much recognition. That was why I have
wondered what these artists might have become if things had been just a
little different.

I am also sorry I did mess up on Linda Nochlin's essay title it was
actually "Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists?" Her writings are
extremely interesting if you have not read them. She has been writing
essays and arranging feminist art shows since the above essay was
printed in ArtNews during the early 1970s.

Thank you to those who responded I really appreciate your comments and
your time.

debbie nicholas