Re: [teacherartexchange] help

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 15:07:28 PST

On 13-Nov-07, at 10:37 AM, Debbie Nicholas wrote:

> I am working on my master's and this semester my project is on
> Feminist
> Art. I need your help if possible.
> If you have time please answer these questions for me.
>
> 1. Define Feminist Art. Do you believe feminist art is any/all art
> made by a female or art dealing with feminist ideas?
This is a rather huge question. Feminist art theory looks at art in
many different ways. Feminist art, as part of the dialogue of post
modern construction, is not easily classified or defined. I don't
think this can be answered in one or two lines.

> 2. In the words of Linda Nochlin, why do you believe there have
> been no
> famous female artists?
Exclusion by defining bodies such as academies, historians and
archivists, institutions like galleries has prevented us from being
able to really look at the work of women artists and decide if they
are great or not. Then there is the question of what meaning is
contained in the word, "artist." Fact is, there are many famous
female artists, and every day we find out about more.

> 3. Do you believe female artists are at a disadvantage in the art
> world?
Women will be at a disadvantage in any patriarchal sexist society

> 4. Do you believe female artists married to male artists have a
> tendency to let their art work suffer in order to further their
> husband's career?
This seems to be a question best answered on a case by case methodology

> thank you very much for you help.
Not sure I was any help, but your questions seem quite large.