[teacherartexchange] December 1 Is World AIDS Day: Let's Make Some Art!

---------

From: Lars Hasselblad Torres (lars_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 12:09:03 PST

Hi everyone,

World AIDS Day is just around the corner - a day to commemorate our
heros and to celebrate a shared hope that we can beat the global AIDS
pandemic - that we can Make AIDS History. As you probably know,
UNAIDS estimates there nearly 40 million people living with HIV,
including 2.3 million children. During 2006 some 4.3 million people
became newly infected with the virus. Around half of all people who
become infected with HIV do so before they are 25 and are killed by
AIDS before they are 35. Around 95% of people with HIV/AIDS live in
developing nations.

There are alot of ways to be involved as teachers - the day provides
an opportunity to explore - through discussion, the arts, and inquiry-
based approaches - how AIDS effects young people around the world.

The Global Peace Tiles Project has been working with our partners
around the world to create safe, dynamic spaces to explore issues
related to HIV/AIDS and many of the works that have been produced are
part of murals installed around the world - from South Africa to
India to the United States. These images are also a part of a new
discussion guide, "A Triumph of the Spirit," which you can download at:
http://www.mixedmedia.us/files/peacetiles_wad2007_guide.pdf

You can also invite your students to make mixed media Peace Tiles
related to the topic of HIV/AIDS and contribute them to our
international mural efforts on World AIDS Day. We have a great
workshop planning guide available online at:
http://mixedmedia.us/files/peacetiles_workshop_design_2007.pdf

Tile produced by young people can address many aspects of the
pandemic - from a show of support and solidarity to advocacy and peer
health messages - and be used locally, or globally. If you have the
time, I encourage you to become familiar with the Global Peace Tiles
Project and invite your students to lend their voice to global
struggle to Make AIDS History on December 1, 2007.

To learn more about the Global Peace Tiles Project, visit http://
www.peacetiles.net - and please, don't hesitate to ask if you have
some questions. Right now, there are about 12 sites around the world
that will be making Peace Tiles on or around December 1.

Peace, and stay strong.

lars

---
Lars Hasselblad Torres