[teacherartexchange] Creating Meaning through Art: Teacher as Choice Maker (good text)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 08:36:34 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I was introduced to this teacher text on Pam Stephens' Ning site (for
her students).
Since the majority of you are not Choice Based teachers (allowing
students to make their own choices), I thought I would toss this book
out there for you to consider. Are you making the right choices for
your students? The book is relatively high in price, but you might be
able to get a copy to through your library (inter library loan).

Creating Meaning through Art. Teacher as Choice Maker
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED417161&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=eric_accno&accno=ED417161
or http://MeaningInArt.notlong.com
by Judith W. Simpson (Author), Jean M. Delaney (Author), Karen Lee
Carroll (Author), Cheryl M. Hamilton (Author), Marianne S. Kerlavage
(Author), Sandra I. Kay (Author), Janet L. Olson (Author)

Abstract:
This book introduces preservice art educators to the power of art in
creating meaning. Each chapter emphasizes different aspects of art
education, identifies concepts and research, and outlines the
advantages and challenges of making the suggested choices. Part 1,
"Teacher as Choice Maker," includes two chapters. Chapter 1 invites
readers to examine why they might choose to become art teachers.
Chapter 2 examines learners through a developmental perspective and
discusses why it is so important to have a clear understanding of
students. Part 2, "Choices for Creating Meaning," offers chapters 3-8,
which introduce a range of choices for creating meaning. Chapter 3
looks at ways to cultivate artistic behaviors and find meaning through
making art. Chapter 4 recommends engaging learners with art images so
they can create personal meaning through the experience. Chapter 5
highlights the importance of storytelling and creating a partnership
between visual and verbal expression. Chapter 6 discusses choosing to
use artistic strategies to make thoughts visible and accommodate a
broader range of learning styles. Chapter 7 describes how to shape
elegant problems that promote meaningful visual thinking and creative
thought. Chapter 8 offers insights on designing units that make
conceptual connections across the curriculum through a thematic focus
that fosters teaching for meaning. Part 3, "Artful Teaching," revisits
ideas introduced in all chapters. Chapter 9 suggests the metaphor of
teacher as artist. Various definitions of teaching as an art form are
shared. (SM)

http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Meaning-Through-Art-Teacher/dp/0133514218

Book Description
This innovative book helps readers develop a personal philosophy and
an artful approach to teaching. This text uses the premise that
teacher choices set the stage for a balanced approach to art education
that considers the child, society, and the curriculum. This book
provides information regarding artistic development, artistic behavior
and methodology for developing curriculum across the developmental
spectrum. The reader is directly addressed as each chapter presents
recent research along with important concepts to understand, focuses
on different aspects of art education, and outlines advantages and
challenges of making the suggested choices, and also includes
suggested activities so readers can act upon content. For art teachers
at the elementary or secondary education level or students studying to
be art teachers.
Book looks like a good refresher course - good reading for those of
you looking for a teaching job now - good reading for professional
development.

Note I clicked the Find Library link on the Eric site and found many
libraries near me that have a copy.

Regards,

Judy Decker