Re: [teacherartexchange] Remember High School Art Class ?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 15:22:49 PST

Jen,
        Glad to meet you and glad to hear you have found a public school
to challenge you. I was lucky to be in a district with an elementary art
program. You just have to start a bit more basic and in smaller bites
build a program. Yes, many of my lessons would be a challenge but
others a simple or could be adjusted. I presenting my Tessellation
workshop (1st time in 4 years) for New Mexico art teachers this
Saturday. My district took the lessons off their site but Judy has it
at:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/
6tessell.htm
                                Best of Luck, Woody
Let me know how things go.

On Nov 6, 2007, at 8:27 AM, jjennifer west wrote:

> Hi Woody,
>
> You don't know me personally because I have never
> directly addressed you through the site, but I have
> seen your respected name on here for many years. I
> participate a little bit, buy mostly just read. My
> name is Jennifer West and this year I am teaching at a
> California public middle school. I am originally from
> Illinois, and have been living in L.A. and teaching
> art at private school for the last four years.
> Because I didn't enjoy the student populations I was
> working with so much (privledged, entitled, spoiled,
> etc.), I was thrilled to get a job in a quality public
> school district. However, I am quickly seeing that
> most of my middle school students are having art for
> the first time in their life. I am struggling to
> create a great program at a middle school level with
> students who have not yet had art. But, in truth this
> is just a back story. I am not asking you what to do.
> I know that I just have to bring it down and start
> from the beginning, there is simply no other way
> around that. What I am asking you is this: I
> remember some years ago you posting your self-portrait
> tesselation project with your middle school students
> and on your connected link I see what I believe it is
> on a CD you have for sale. I am happy to buy your CD,
> but wanted to find out first if you think the quality
> middle school lessons you have on there would be too
> difficult for my very beginning middle schoolers? I
> would love some thoughts.
>
> Best,
> Jen

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque