Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Remember High School Art Class ?

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 15:22:49 PST

        Glad to meet you and glad to hear you have found a public school
to challenge you. I was lucky to be in a district with an elementary art
program. You just have to start a bit more basic and in smaller bites
build a program. Yes, many of my lessons would be a challenge but
others a simple or could be adjusted. I presenting my Tessellation
workshop (1st time in 4 years) for New Mexico art teachers this
Saturday. My district took the lessons off their site but Judy has it
                                Best of Luck, Woody
Let me know how things go.

On Nov 6, 2007, at 8:27 AM, jjennifer west wrote:

> Hi Woody,
> You don't know me personally because I have never
> directly addressed you through the site, but I have
> seen your respected name on here for many years. I
> participate a little bit, buy mostly just read. My
> name is Jennifer West and this year I am teaching at a
> California public middle school. I am originally from
> Illinois, and have been living in L.A. and teaching
> art at private school for the last four years.
> Because I didn't enjoy the student populations I was
> working with so much (privledged, entitled, spoiled,
> etc.), I was thrilled to get a job in a quality public
> school district. However, I am quickly seeing that
> most of my middle school students are having art for
> the first time in their life. I am struggling to
> create a great program at a middle school level with
> students who have not yet had art. But, in truth this
> is just a back story. I am not asking you what to do.
> I know that I just have to bring it down and start
> from the beginning, there is simply no other way
> around that. What I am asking you is this: I
> remember some years ago you posting your self-portrait
> tesselation project with your middle school students
> and on your connected link I see what I believe it is
> on a CD you have for sale. I am happy to buy your CD,
> but wanted to find out first if you think the quality
> middle school lessons you have on there would be too
> difficult for my very beginning middle schoolers? I
> would love some thoughts.
> Best,
> Jen

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque