Re: [teacherartexchange] Remember High School Art Class?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 07:59:49 PST

Greetings,

A trip down memory lane......

My high school art classes were all about choice (after the first Art
Fundamentals).
We could sign up for Drawing and Painting, Printmaking, Ceramics and
Sculpture, or Jewelry.
There was only one teacher - and some of the advanced classes met at
the same time.
We came up with our own projects we wanted to do and presented our
ideas to the teacher.
There were no formal lesson plans. In Art Seminar (Senior Art) it was
all CHOICE.

I still have some of the jewelry I made in high school art class - but
that is about it. My mom had saved a lot of "stuff" but I didn't have
the portfolio shipped to me. I do still have a print that I made after
ninth grade (in a summer workshop/camp) -actually a group of prints.
There are nine US presidents carved in individual 6" blocks and inked
an printed together. I had the same prof summer of '98. He still
remembered me from the summer workshop. He was the instructor for the
printmaking class that summer.

Odd how at the time, I felt I as at a disadvantage by coming out of a
choice program. I didn't feel my portfolio was as strong for college.
I did get a scholarship, but not for art. I got an academic
scholarship.

I knew in fourth grade I wanted to be an art teacher... Thanks to Mrs. Hines.

Regards,

Judy Decker