Re: [teacherartexchange] Remember High School Art Class ?

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 07:27:31 PST

Hi Woody,

You don't know me personally because I have never
directly addressed you through the site, but I have
seen your respected name on here for many years. I
participate a little bit, buy mostly just read. My
name is Jennifer West and this year I am teaching at a
California public middle school. I am originally from
Illinois, and have been living in L.A. and teaching
art at private school for the last four years.
Because I didn't enjoy the student populations I was
working with so much (privledged, entitled, spoiled,
etc.), I was thrilled to get a job in a quality public
school district. However, I am quickly seeing that
most of my middle school students are having art for
the first time in their life. I am struggling to
create a great program at a middle school level with
students who have not yet had art. But, in truth this
is just a back story. I am not asking you what to do.
 I know that I just have to bring it down and start
from the beginning, there is simply no other way
around that. What I am asking you is this: I
remember some years ago you posting your self-portrait
tesselation project with your middle school students
and on your connected link I see what I believe it is
on a CD you have for sale. I am happy to buy your CD,
but wanted to find out first if you think the quality
middle school lessons you have on there would be too
difficult for my very beginning middle schoolers? I
would love some thoughts.

Best,
Jen

http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog/November07.html#NewestEntry