[teacherartexchange] Martin Puryear - African American Sculptor (plus Kara Walker feedback)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 04:17:41 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Martin Puryear is a new name for me. There is a show of his work now
at the Museum of Modern Art.
See slide show in the New York Times article:
Art Review | Martin Puryear
Humanity's Ascent, in Three Dimensions
By ROBERTA SMITH
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/02/arts/design/02pury.html?_r=1&ref=design&oref=slogin

From the article:
"Mr. Puryear, who was born in 1941 and grew up in Washington, D.C., is
a former painter who emerged from the Minimalist and Postminimalist
vortex making hand-worked, mostly wood sculptures. These soothe more
than seethe, balancing between the geometric and the organic with Zen
aplomb."
The Martin Puryear show continues through Jan. 14 at the Museum of Modern Art.

More on Martin Puryear:
http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/puryear/index.html
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/puryear_martin.html

Wiki biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Puryear

student essay/biography:
http://cghs.dadeschools.net/african-american/twentieth_century/puryear.htm

Gallery:
http://www.donaldyoung.com/puryear/martin_puryear_index.html

More:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Martin+Puryear&btnG=Google+Search

More from New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

Martin Puryear will be added to my page of African American artists.
Several days ago, I posted information about the Kara Walker Exhibit
at the Whitney.
I though some of you might be interested in the feedback that post
generated on ArtConversation (Artcyclopedia Forum)
http://www.artconversation.com/art-museums-and-exhibitions/596-kara-walker-exhibit-at-the-whitney.html
or http://KWalker.notlong.com
I usually do not sign on when I post so "unregistered" is me (the first post).

Enjoy,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/