Re: [teacherartexchange] African masks paper mache high school

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2007 - 03:36:24 PST

Gaby,

First research regions in Africa for particular mask
designs and patterns. You could combine the African
mask design project with the study of Cubism and Math
(Geometry). Using the research you do students then
could produce mask representational of themselves,
their culture.

I have students build the foundation of their mask
first using cardboard. The cardboard is layered on to
build up the surface. We glue it using low temp hot
glue. Once the foundation is made we layer two to
three brown paper towel layers onto the surface,
molding the paper towel to the cardboard surface.
Once mask is dry students can collage paper, glue on
seeds, beans, buttons, other objects to the surface.
Students can paint them. They really do turn out
welll.

Jeff (Minnesota)
--- "gabyleigh@netzero.net" <gabyleigh@netzero.net>

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2211/fc/Ioyw6ijlTbDUOIcRCMsTm31f3J0bnst6kwICuF055TXJcvKw3lZqg3/