[teacherartexchange] Maps: Finding our Place in the World (website)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 15:53:40 PST

Dear Art Educators,

A while back someone was interested in maps.... can't remember who. I
know we posted some artists who work with maps in their art.

Here is a site that might be of interest to some of you. Dr. Roland
had it listed in his blog.

From Dr. Roland:
Finding our place in the world with maps
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/maps/
Want to know what Utopia looks like? Or the first Internet? Then check
out Maps: Finding Our Place in the World, an exhibition opening today
at Chicago's Field Museum. The companion website includes a selection
of the exhibition's 130 original maps, globes, and artifacts from
around the world such as Sir Thomas Moore's 1516 map of the Island of
Utopia and Joyce Reynolds' 1982 map of Arpanet, the first Internet
that consisted of 88 computers.

There's lots to see and learn here. So, put aside your GPS for a while
and travel back in time through this fascinating exhibition of maps.

I visit Art Junction Blog everyday to see what might be new there.
http://www.artjunction.org/blog/

From there, I hit some of the blog's Craig recommends.

Judy Decker