Re:[teacherartexchange] Pre-K activities needed - for Corinne

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 07:28:30 PDT

Corinne,
I have posted a number of resources for art and the preschool age.

Preschoolers are forming their habits of thinking. Good art instruction has them thinking and responding to questions about themselves and their own experiences. This is much better than tracing, better than asking them to copy, better than coloring books, better than showing them how to draw something, and so on. I NEVER show them how I do something. I never show examples before they work. I motivate them by asking them questions. I actively affirm what they do that comes out of their own experiences. When I put a title on their name on their work, I ask them where they think it would look good to put a title or a name. I want them to learn to think about the design and composition of their work. Lowenfeld called this kind of questioning Making Passive Knowledge Active. Others call it accretion. Other teachers teach them to copy, trace, and follow structured directions. I want to teach them to think and be more expressive and take pride in their own ideas and wo
 rk. It works to get a huge amount of self-learning.

Letter to a preschool teacher:
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/let2pre.htm

About scribbling:
http://www.bartelart.com/arted/wallscribblers.html

Scribbling stages as described by Lowenfeld
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/PreSchool/AboutScribbling.html

Early symbol making:
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/PreSchool/AboutPreschematic.html

Observation drawing with a preschooler:
http://bartelart.com/orchid.html

Not scribbling, but organized abstract composition
http://www.goshen.edu/%7Emarvinpb/PreSchool/Preschematic2.html

A typical schematic self-portrait at age 5.
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/PreSchool/SchematicThinkingPicture.html
The child who made this self-portrait called THINKING learned to think creatively. He and his sister Bonnie are both leading biological scientists today. They were never given coloring books as children, but they always had lots of art materials including pottery clay to experiment with whenever they got the urge.

David tells me that the post docs working in his MIT lab are very smart about science, but they really need to able to think more imaginatively. When they get an experimental result that is unexpected they have trouble imagining the possible reason. Bonnie says her grad students at Rice University often fail to imagine that their results are leading to a new discovery. They assume that they must have made a mistake so they do the experiment again without telling her. Bonnie says they are wasting time with this when they should be imagining other reasons for unexpected results and experimenting to figure out what is really happening. David says that rather than telling them what he thinks, he asks them what they think is happening. New science discoveries come from being able to imagine what might be happening when they get unexpected results. They often get upset with his use of questions instead of answers, but he feels they need to develop their creativity and imaginativ
 e thinking more than they need to know more about existing science.

I believe that these habits of thinking are forming in the pre-school mind. At the pre-school age, all kids are natural scientists and experimenters and they are all natural artists. They use their art materials to see help themselves remember, think, feel, imagine, and know. They are learning about their world, about themselves, and by doing this they are learning to think imaginatively, think realistically, to feel, and to express. The root of the word EDUCATION means to draw out.

studio phone: 574-533-0171
http://www.bartelart.com
"Art is me when I am myself." ... a kindergarten girl when asked, "What is art?"