[teacherartexchange] For those who teach in Christian Schools

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 06:10:28 PDT

Dear Art Educators in Private Christian Schools,

I hope that is enough of a warning to let you know that this is about religion.

Here is a painting to share with your students.
John Everett Millais - Christ in the House of His Parents, 1850
http://www.smarthistory.org/blog/
Help them READ the painting by showing the video podcast after they
have viewed and talked about what they see in the painting. Good
narrative piece - lots of symbolism.
I enjoyed the pod cast.

I participated in a class on Philip Yancy's The Jesus I Never Knew. I
have a file with many images of Jesus - different artist's
representation. Not all that is available on line, but a good
selection. If you are interested in that file, do let me know (OFF
LIST - do not post a reply to the list asking for the images). Great
video based class by the way. We are doing another one of his books on
Prayer now.

We had a heated discussion on Getty list about the appropriateness of
placing a Christmas Tree in public schools..... My word of advice to
you is "Do everything you can to hold onto our 33%." Christianity is
still the world's leading religion (grouping all Christianity together
comes to 33% of the World's population). Islam is the fasting growing
and will surpass Christianity by mid 21st Century. I believe in what
is good in all World Religions. Teach your students what is good in
all religions. You might be surprised at the similarities.

If anyone took offense to this post, I do apologize for that - but no
offense was intended.
I did post this to my own Art4Peace list where posts like this are
encouraged.... but so few will see it there.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/