Re: [teacherartexchange] cutting dowel rods

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 19:20:04 PST

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice regarding the
dowel rods - I decided to go with the pruning shears
option.

Even though it would easier for me to bundle the
dowels and cut them myself, I really wanted the kids
to have to do the math of dividing the 36" rods into
halves and thirds and I especially want them to do the
measuring themselves - so we can have some ruler
practice and they can learn the rule of "measure
twice, cut once"

We are making paper lanterns with our dowels and I'm
really excited about the project and want the students
to be able to get as much do-it yourself experience as
possible from the project so that it's not a crafty
endeavor, but a learning experience that gives them
ownership of what they have made.

I bought some pruning shears on the way home tonight
and can't wait for school tomorrow so that we can get
to work!

Thanks again!

Chris in Central Arkansas