[teacherartexchange] cutting dowel rods

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 18:09:10 PST

Hello,

I'm working on a project with my students that uses
1/4" dowel rods - they are thin engough to score and
snap in two with your hands(which is effective, but
time consuming) but I"m afraid that my 5th & 6th
graders will try to break them without scoring and
make them splinter off. There are just too many of
the rods for me to cut them all this way myself and
plus I was looking forward to having the kids do the
measuring - they are 36" dowels that need to be cut
down to either 12" or 18" inches - but 5 dowels times
200 kids is more scoring and snapping than I think I
can handle.

In any case I was wondering if anyone could suggest
some kind of wire cutter or snipper that I could use
to cut these with.

Thanks!

Chris in Central Arkansas