RE: [teacherartexchange] clean-up/advisory

---------

From: Melissa Woodland (melissawoodland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 13:51:47 PST

Hi,
6th graders could go either way. When I taught middle school a combination
of peer pressure/bribery worked by assigning a clean-up supervisor for the
day. This person usually wanted to do it because they got out of doing any
clean up work (I demonstrate using their supplies), and they loved to be in
charge of the rest. It was a second set of eyes and they were usually much
more critical than I was! Also, I let them know at the beginning of class
who the helper is and even though clean up is at the end, they feel the
pressure during the period and are more likely to keep others motivated and
eliminate making the mess in the first place. Sometimes I egg them on by
saying "Hope you clean up that puddle before 'Joe' sees it - he's tough on
clean up!" I did this with my 9th graders (22 kids - 1 sink). I also tell
them that they don't leave til things are clean and I don't write late
passes for that!!

I always post clean up instructions in the room. Currently I have clean up
instructions for watercolor paints taped to the supply tray at each table. I
have similar reminders posted above the sink and yet another on the cup for
clean paintbrushes.

I've also done clean up instructions via the overhead projector (I must
sound like a Nazi at this point) when my kids did glazing. It really helped.
I wrote all the jobs and a table number so I could reuse for all classes. I
don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather have 3 kids clean all
30 brushes than try to get 30 of them to the sink. It's also overwhelming to
a kid to remember all the things to do, but if they only have one job it
gets done better and faster.

Hope you can use some of this,

melissa