RE: [teacherartexchange] wall mural

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 08:24:32 PST

One "oops" I've found is that Sharpie eventually bleeds through, so I'd
recommend using a black paint pen, just pencil, or use a small brush to
do the initial outline.

At a mural class I took a couple years ago, they also recommend having
everyone paint everywhere on the mural, not just "pick a spot" that way,
they all take ownership of the whole thing, not saying "I painted THAT
star" type of thing. Our mural ended up turning out NOTHING like we had
planned, but it was a pleasant surprise. It just evolved.

I have done one mural with students, two students did most of the work,
with my guidance, and the help of a couple other students. I haven't
been brave enough to do one with a regular size class yet.

The mural we made was moveable, due to the fact that we didn't have an
art room at the time, and would the following year, we didn't want it
getting painted over or in some other room. We made a 2x4 frame, and
stretched sheets over it, primed with Gesso. Worked pretty well,
although we had to use two sheets, and I wish we had sewn the seam on a
machine rather then by hand, it pulled in spots, but overall, we were
very pleased with it.

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School