Re: [teacherartexchange] Daily Warm-Ups in Art

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 12:55:19 PST

Terri,
        You didn't say what levels you teach, but since your classes are 1
1/2 hours in length
I assume it is not elementary. I taught middle school (6, 7 and 8)
and never had long classes
like yours. I always wanted a block schedule but never got to try one
out. I think warm ups
sound like a good idea especially if they relate to the lesson. I
wanted to try a block schedule
with 90 minute classes so I would - 1. Have the time to correctly
introduce the lesson, and
2. So my students would not need to rush their work and then 3. we
could have closure time
where my students could reflect on what they had done and why. I envy
your longer time
with your students but you can do much more than have warm up
activities to use the
time well. Best of luck, Woody

On Nov 23, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Boots13@aol.com wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I have been interested in doing daily warm-ups in art class due to
> the
> energy and craziness of the students in most of my classes and
> especially because
> they are 1 1/2 hours long. My students tend to finish SOOO quickly
> and they
> learning has just barely skimmed the surface. I just bought this
> book called
> "Daily Warm-Ups: Art Level 1" by Walch Publishing, however I was just
> wondering how many other teachers use art warm-ups to lead up to
> larger projects.
>
> Right now I have just started a Mandala Unit with my students and
> we are
> going to create 4 mini-mandalas and then combine those styles to
> create a larger
> one for each individual student.
> How do warm-ups work for you? How long are they? Do they always
> have to
> relate to the lesson?
> Let me know what you think!
>
> Terri