Re: [teacherartexchange] organizing and backing up digital images

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2006 - 12:15:03 PST

I organize my photos using iPhoto. I have it set to not copy the
photos on my computer, as I have a large amount of photos, most of
which are stored on an external hard drive. I like iPhoto because you
can make albums, placing photos in several places at once. You can
also assign keywords, which you can then sort or search by. For
example, I can do a search for all portraits, which will then find
any photos with that keyword. You can also make smart albums, which
automatically places photos matching your designated criteria. I also
use iPhoto to make a temporary album, which I can then quickly use to
make a web photo album.

You definitely want to have backups of your photos. I have two
external hard drives, burn onto DVD's or CD's. For safekeeping, you
will want to keep a copy of your important photos (and documents) in
another location, just in case of fire or other disaster. My rule of
backup is: if you'd cry if you lost it, back it up!

Melissa