Re: [teacherartexchange] art as a dumping ground - problem re-explained

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 15:35:19 PST

On Nov 20, 2006, at 3:44 PM, John Schuler wrote:

> I would like to add a few more suggestions. First of all, if there
> are ANY
> commmittees in your school and/or district, run, don't walk to
> volunteer to
> be on them. Let the rest of the school see how serious an educator
> you are.
> You need educational allies in your fight to 'legitimize' your art
> program.
>
> San D

Years ago when our district began district wide reform efforts our
arts administrator
urged every art teacher to volunteer for reform committees in our
schools. We made
sure our voices were heard loudly and everywhere. I highly recommend
getting
on any committee dealing with change or with budgets. It is an
effective strategy.
We went to site based management and building by building, art
teachers were
on those management teams.
                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque