Re: [teacherartexchange] organizing digital images

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 07:12:30 PST

Here are some more tips:

I always Batch rename all my files. That way if I do a search I can
find something quickly and easily:

Instructions for Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/renamephotos.mspx

I am sure you can do it on a Mac ( i would guess in iPhoto?)

For back up, I usually do a back up an a portable hard drive, but ALSO
make a CD of the images, with a screen shot of the list of images.
Sometimes I do DVD's for a month. You may also consider doing a
thumbnail batch of all your images. I don't know about you but I can
not always store all photos on my computer! I just got a batch of
about 50 photos the other day and it was over a GB of space! So I have
a very large (100 GB as my back up and can search on this as I add
photos to it)

Here is another tip that is very valuable. Meta data. Meta data sort
of applies "tags" to your photos so you can search on your computer
(or portable hard drive) later.

For example. You can right click on an image, choose properties, then
summary and type in some keywords for your image. Say I have an image
called DadBirthday06.raf. I can write, "dad, birthdays, brian, august
2006, candles, cake, balloons". These keywords attach to your image
and then can become searchable later. So if I type in "candles" a year
from now, this image will show up.

Do you know the site Flickr? It uses this technology to do searches for images.

Hope this helps.

Jen-Cleveland, OH