Re: [teacherartexchange] organizing digital images

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 20:19:24 PST

On Nov 19, 2006, at 8:29 PM, Marvin Bartel wrote:

>> . . . . Can those of you who are just as particular about keeping
>> your photos in order as me, explain
>> your system of managing your digital pics?
>> --
>> Gina Arena

I'm not as organized as I should be, actually I never will be. I work
by the old saying that there are two
types of people "filers" and "pilers". Some people are organized in
files and many like me just stack
the stuff up here and there. One benefit of piles is that when you go
looking for something you discover
6 or 7 things that you had forgotten all about. Now I'm a mac person
and I do make lots of special
folders and give them unique names so I'll remember what's in them.
But for my original "unedited"
photos of which there are tens of thousands, I'm thankful that they
automatically store on my hard
drive into folders by year, month, and date they were taken. I go
back and look at my calendar to
see when I was where and then go to the folder for that date. I took
pics at a new docent lunch
on the the 13th. So I looked in 2006 folder, clicked on folder 11
(for November), and then clicked
on folder 13 for the date. My camera and my computer are so much
smarter than I am. They sort
by the date I took the pics even if I downloaded them a week later.
I'm thankful for i-photo sorting
things for me.
                                                        Woody
As for storing on CD's as backup, it's wise but you had better have a
list of what's on that CD.
It's hard to hold a CD up to the light to see what images are on it.
At least on a back up hard drive
at least you can see what's there.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net