[teacherartexchange] organizing digital images

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 19:29:39 PST

>. . . . Can those of you who are just as particular about keeping your photos in order as me, explain
>your system of managing your digital pics?
>--
>Gina Arena

ORGANIZING & FINDING PHOTOS
Being organized has always been a challenge for me--whether in my studio, my mind, and certainly on my hard drive. Keeping track of thousands of images is not an easy job, and unfortunately computer searches can not recognize pictures of trees, horses, tulips, spiders, paintings, and/or people if they are not verbally named. So far, computers can only find file numbers, dates, and words. They are still trying to invent speedier image sorting software.

I use both a Windows system and a Mac laptop. On the Windows system I try to sort pictures into topic folders and subfolders. Example: my NATURE folder has a nest of folders called LANDSCAPES, BIRDS, FLOWERS, INSECTS, TREES, SKYS, ETC. and the FLOWERS has a nest of folders for each kind of flower. It does take time to keep it organized, but I can generally find things without having to have the computer search for the date. For the last couple years I have been saving all my image files on the Mac because iPhoto comes with the computer and provides a default filing system that includes thumbnail images in chronological order. Whenever iPhoto opens it shows all the little images in chronological order and in the PICTURE folder all the photos are nested by YEAR, MONTH, and DAY without any time or effort from me. The program opens in 15 seconds with about 4000 thumbnails ready to view (much faster than my Windows). Scrolling up and down lets me visually scan them to find t
 hings. I note the file number and open it in Photoshop to work on it. With this many thumbnails it may be time to cleanup and sort them into the category folders. I welcome other ideas on this. Windows probably has organizing features that some of you like.

BACKUP
The price of portable usb 2 hard drives has come down to around a $100 for more than enough space to backup the whole computer hard drive. This keeps the photo files (and other files) safe in the event of a computer hard drive crash, theft, or fire (if the portable drive is stored off premises). I used to back up on DVD disks, but I find it much quicker and easier to use a portable hard drive.

Marvin