Re: [teacherartexchange] art as a dumping ground - problem re-explained

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 09:23:36 PST

If your admin team thinks you are a squeaky wheel because they have given you these behavior problems then they are crazy. I would invite them to your room and see them in action. I would put up art work around the school and show it off to the public to elicit support from parents, and hopefully other faculty, as to your worth and the worth of your program. We have to be our own advocates and show them that this art program has worth to them as a way for the public to see art and it's beauty. It makes me enraged to see art programs treated like a dumping ground and not have a care as to how we work with these students.

I too have been the dumping ground at our school, especially with our special ed program, however, I work with these kids well and so I get help (aids) and support from the dept. head because I go right to the source and confront them. Recently they have been asking for a student to council her during her art class, she has many problems but I told them that art was important as well and they will not see her during my class until all of her classes are impacted as well. This attitude that it does not matter, it's just art makes me boil.

 I know that because you are a beginning teacher that you might not be able to be as aggressive as me, but stand up and be clear about the problem, confront them and ask for help without being the squeaky wheel as much as a solution to their need for a place to put these kids. You want teacher aids, dean and counselor help and change these kids attitudes.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA