Re: [teacherartexchange] tips on buying a SLR digital camera

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 11:14:53 PST

Last January we realized that the "professional photographer" who'd taken
pictures of our faculty and staff for the yearbook wasn't going to deliver!
As the yearbook person, this was NOT good news at all and I didn't have a
lot of money to invest in a camera to try to take the pictures myself!

I ordered a Fujifilm Finepix S5200 camera--the best that I could afford at
the time:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fuji_s5200.html

When it arrived, it was literally an out of the box and off to work deal and
I was able to take all the pictures I needed for the yearbook and meet our
early March deadline with the publisher. I've been really, really pleased
with the quality of the images I've gotten--and I've literally taken
thousands of pictures by now.

It has many, many more options than what I'm using on a day to day basis
(and I USE it ever day!) Everything is automatic and yet you can also
adjust all of the settings manually and purchase supplementary lenses. (The
only "extra" lens I've bought for it is a UV filter, mainly used for
protection, but I want to get a supplementary telephoto lens.)

My son just ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 and I think he'll be really,
really pleased with it:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fz7.html

He took photography in high school and wanted a camera that had the manual
controls of an SLR camera with the convenience and ease of an automatic.

Both my camera and my son's are listed as two of the best cameras in their
price range. Here's the full list:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html