Re: [teacherartexchange] art as a dumping ground - problem re-explained

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 09:57:15 PST

Ken - great advice. I also believe that if you go to an administrator with
your problems you will have more respect from them if you have a solution.
Administrators are busy trying to keep on top of all aspects of the school
and you are asking them to solve a problem that may not be aware of. If you
say "student x" is doing this, this, and this. I have tried this, this, and
this. It would really help me if you could do this, Or offer me advice on
other ways to deal with this situation. Asking the administrator to
permanently remove a student from your classroom may sound like "make it
somebody else's problem". Even if that would be the best idea ever from your
vantage point, it is not going to get you very far with administration.
Appearing as if you are up to the challenge, you are appearing to be a "team
player". Creating a strong, respected art program won't happen overnight, so
have a goal in mind and work towards creating that ideal program. Good luck!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids