Re: [teacherartexchange] tips on buying a SLR digital camera

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 16:18:32 PST

>I am in the process of purchasing my 1st digital camera. I am looking at a SLR because I love my manual one- I would just like to see right away if the picture I took turned out okay instead of waiting for the film to develop. I was hoping someone could provide some insight on a good camera to buy. Any information you could provide would be welcomed.
>Thank You
>Vicki Marckel

Unless you already own an assortment of lenses, there is probably no particular advantage in the SLR digital unless you want to get a really expensive one at 10 or higher megapixels. I like Canons. They make very highly rated digital images and offer a broad range of prices and models (both SLR and smaller non-SLR models) depending on the resolution and portability you require.

For me, Image Stabilization is the best new feature available (not on some models). It allows two extra stops without getting camera shake blur when shooting with the long zoom lens or when working in lower light without a flash or tripod. My Canon S3 IS fits in a fanny pack and does essentially anything that my SLR does. Shutter lag is insignificant. It is six megapixel (makes sharp prints on 13 x 19 inch photo printer), and has a 12x optical zoom lens. It allows still shots while the video is running. It can be used as an audio recorder. I just got a high speed 4 GB memory card from Amazon for about $80 so I can leave my computer at home while traveling in countries where I am not wanting to risk taking my laptop. Each 4 GB memory card holds 1456 of the highest quality images (9999 lowest quality). I get 31 to 122 minutes video on one memory card (depending on quality).

Prices are dropping. Before purchasing, put the model number in Google and compare prices. I find rechargeable AA nickle metal halide batteries at Walmarts that are rated at 2600 mAh.

I have a six megapixel SLR that I got a couple years ago so I could use my old SLR lenses, but I have not used it since I got the S3 IS. I formerly used the SLR for high end projects, but now that I have the S3 IS, I expect to be selling the SLR and the lenses on E-bay. I gave my Canon S1 IS model to my 5th grade granddaughter after I used it for 7,000 images. She loves it.

Marvin