Re: [teacherartexchange] art as a dumping ground - problem re-explained

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 09:15:47 PST

> My request for advice was more about how to deal
> with the attitude my admin
> and counselors seem to have about where to schedule
> problem students. They
> basically told me that they won't put students they
> know to be a problem in
> the other electives because they aren't "team
> players" and will damage the
> other elective programs as a result. ie, they're
> KNOWINGLY giving me
> classes full of behavior problems because my art
> program isn't as important
> as band, orchestra, foreign language, etc...and it
> won't matter if they
> disrupt art class.

I completely agree with the other "posters" that you
have to make art not a dump. You have to validate your
own program by making it an asset to the school...and
yourself too. You have to have art shows, display art,
enter your kids in country and city events and if
there aren't any start some. Host parent student
workshops, etc. You have to make your administration
know that important things are happening so that they
will know how important it is to stop the disruption.
Join NAEA if you haven't already and toot, toot your
own horn to anyone that will listen. That will take
more than a year, but it will be well worth it. IF you
can get your school positive recognition everyone will
listen.