Re: [teacherartexchange] tips on buying a SLR digital camera

---------

rpopek_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 18:35:29 PST

Many of the newer point and shoot camera's are extremly good at taking sharp and focused pictures. I started out with a sony four or five years ago and even though it took great pictures I found I could not deal with the shutter lag.(I had fast moving kids) I bought a DSLR because it was just like my film camera and I wanted the adjustable settings. It has no shutter lag or start up time. However I just got my mom (76 years old) a cannon point and shoot and it has also virtually no start up time and the Shutter lag is minimal. It's handy and travels well. In most lighting conditions the photos are very good. My DSLR is certainly much bulkier. But I feel comfortable with the feel as I am used to handling it the way I did my film one. Having all the f-stops and such is also something I am used to dealing with and it makes the camera a little more versatile. The point and shoots have come a long way since my sony and I think you have to decide what you're after. An adjustable camera that's fairly large or a sm
aller one that fits into your pocket and is easy to carry.
Renee