Re: [teacherartexchange] videos etc

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2006 - 14:38:43 PST

On Nov 16, 2006, at 4:57 AM, ejb35@columbia.edu wrote:

> When I began teaching in the early 70s videos were new and students
> were excited by them. The technology grabbed them. Even a "dry"
> program like the one based on Kenneth Clark's "Civilization." Now
> they are blaze. The lights go down and the heads go down. The
> programs have to be very well-paced and interesting.

Last year I had some money to spend and was searching for Art DVDs to
buy. Unfortunately most are just bad transcriptions of bad videos.
Dry and boring is the word. Most put me to sleep.

I'm anxiously awaiting someone to produce engaging art
presentations. But mostly I think I have to do it myself. I have
lots of discussion with my students as to how ART still presents
itself as elitist with a presumption inherent that "some" just don't
get it. I want to see stuff that makes it easy to get it. I've
always loved the Penn and Teller videos, but they are getting old now
too.

On the other hand
Andy Goldsworthy -- Rivers and Tides--- never fails to to pull them
in. It's about process and failure and truly represents "drive" and
motivations and Why we create.
I think we have to find inspiration and presentations that ask big
questions. We can all accomplish history with our own takes on the
masters. I'm gravitating to making my own i-Movies and pod casts
and having the kids make their own. Surely a student who spends a
little time in one area learns more than sleeping through a droning
talking heads video.

My first love is art history. And, I'm not sure where I learned to
love it. I think it was probably a teacher who made stories from the
art and not some pontificator boring me.

So how do we make the transitions to giving the kids the hands on
experience as well as the background ? How do we make the history
an activity that doesn't put heads down to sleep?

Patty