[teacherartexchange] Drawing - hand or brain

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2006 - 08:17:39 PST

In my interview I wrote: "Learning to draw is really a misnomer. You
are really learning to see.
It is the brain that is learning how to see rather than the hand
learning how to draw."

As art educators, we realize this. But we need concrete examples to
make the point.
Recently, I heard an interview with a reporter who lost a hand in
Irac. He wrote a book titled
Blood Brothers. It's about his experiences in Ward 57 with other
amputees. He talked
about one young man who lost both hands. While learning how to write
again, he
discovered he could still draw. I've yet to see the book myself. I'll
check the library and
our local bookstores in a day or two. It's on Amazon at:
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Brothers-Among-Soldiers-Ward/dp/0805078606
I understand that the book has one of his detailed drawings.
                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons