Re: [teacherartexchange] teacher as artist

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 12:33:09 PST

It's nice that you're reaching clarity and being vulnerable
and all that, but this isn't about YOU. You are being paid to
teach your students. I think it's totally appropriate to bring in
your work and discuss it--then when you have advanced the
work on your own time--bring it back and discuss again. Your
class time should not be an open studio for you--it's the time
you work with the kids, talk about their work, make suggestions
to them--enrich and encourage them. If you want to
work alongside of your students, organize an open studio after
school as an art club and then they can watch you work and
solve your problems.

>>> elizhiz@yahoo.com 11/15/2006 4:05 am >>>
What is the reasoning for not showing students your
art?
Is the same true for not letting them in on the
process?
I thought there was some kind of tradition that said
it would stifle or depress students or something.
I hope I am not doing something bad, but I started
working on a couple paintings in the midst of my HS
classes. There are some interesting discussions going
on about the development and meaning of my work (esp.
apparently during the math classes that meet in my
room in the morning! not sure about those)
My students have been involved in discussions with me
about the development of my work and actually have
helped me a lot to clarify what I want to say. They
see me through the complete process. I am aware of my
vulnerability and risk-taking.
I realize I have to keep my own project subject to all
student lessons and needs, but...are there other basic
premises I am missing?
Beth