[teacherartexchange] Student Teaching and student violence

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 11:01:40 PST

Wether or not, student teachers are doing their cohorts/internships in the
"urban or suburban" jungle, there are classroom management philosophies out
there waiting to be tapped by teachers. Im sure many teachers have already
employed, and successfully, a number of them. "Love and Logic" and "Natural
Consequences" are among my favorite. The key to classroom management is to
create a working relationship where students take responsibility for their
own behaviors and that they genuinely want to do what is asked because in
the long run, it becomes their idea to do so. Also, as teachers it is
important for us to become aware of our own baggage when dealing with
certain situations. Our biases often propel us to react and say things that
we wouldn't normally. Even the most rough and tumble of students brings to
the classroom background knowledge and skills that can be tapped into.
Leadership roles are especially good for troubled youth so maybe creating a
situation for all of the class members to assume leadership roles at one
time or another may contribute to equity in the classroom. I think that we
are all looking for equity and knowing that justice will be there when we
need it. M