Re: [teacherartexchange] teacher as artist

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 07:12:22 PST

What is the reasoning for not showing students your
art?

I don't understand this statement either, however I have heard it before. I feel that when you do a project either the one the students are working on or your own work, you are allowing them to be a part of the art world as you see it, enjoy your passion, how you look for inspiration, solve problems, happy accidents, and gives them a sense of calm knowing that you can do this. I have always demonstrated on my own work and showed what I wanted from them as well as model a good product. Rarely, if not at all, would a student try to copy me or even use the same subject. I feel that being an artist teaching art is better than just being an art teacher.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA