Re: [teacherartexchange] teacher as artist

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 05:33:24 PST

I often will begin a project and work on it during class. It shows the
students that I value what I am expecting them to do, allows them to see how
I work/rework a project, and it also gives me leverage when I give a due
date because they know the time allotted them was fair. The downside that I
have is I often don't have time during class to work on my project because I
have to stop and help students. I think students who know that their
instructors "can" create art often have more respect because they know you
know what you're talking about.

I am currently creating marionettes with both my high school classes. I
created one for each class to show them the technical aspects of the
project. I have one finished project that I created to share with them since
all they see for the first two weeks is newspaper, tape, and string and I
wanted them to understand the end result. However, finishing the projects I
started in class is a challenge since I'm constantly showing them how to mix
skin tones, how to attach hair, how to make small paper machete hands. If
time allows I'll finish them in class - if not, well, student needs come
first and I can always finish mine at home.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids