Re: [teacherartexchange] Neat Origami Site

---------

From: Sarah Critzman (sjcritzman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 14:59:28 PST

When teaching Origami there are a lot of things to be
learned (especially by a second or third grade
student) rather than just following directions to make
a common craft - we talk about cultures and
celebrations. We identify locations on the globe, talk
about history of paper - and how it is made.
Students at this age really need to learn paper
folding skills, as many of them do not get that in
their classrooms. Origami can help students to
visualize geometry - it's like hands on math.
Students that already have mastered this concept can
help other students, the classroom becomes a community
- where everyone is learning from each other. I see
spending a day on just origami (especially in the
month before Christmas!!) as a totally valuable part
of art education.
If you have more than a day to spend, students can
create their own origami papers decorated with a
certain theme or by review of skills (primary color
paper or implied texture paper, etc.)