Re: [teacherartexchange] student teachers

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 13:47:38 PST

On Nov 13, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Jean Womack wrote:

> The first thing a student teacher has to understand is that some
> students are capable of violence against a teacher they don't
> like. The ability to behave in a way that insures your own safety
> is the first requirement of teaching.

This may be important, but I would hardly list it as first. I taught
in an urban setting and never was concerned for my safety.
More important is a command for your subject area, a passion for the
content, an ability to communicate clearly, etc.

> The students are there because they have to be, not because they
> want to be, as in a college, or perhaps a suburban environment.

Students are "required" to be there even in the suburban districts.
It is our job as teachers to motivate them to want
to be in school.

> So perhaps student teachers are safer in a suburban environment,
> until they acquire the management techniques they need to survive
> in the urban jungle. Like, for example, ASKING students to do
> things, instead of commanding them to do things,

In any professional environment it works much, much better to ask
people to do anything rather than commanding cooperation.
Perhaps the military is the exception to this rule.

> while they are in the process of developing enough loyalty to you
> personally, that they are willing to do work for you without
> getting paid for it.

We need to teach our students that satisfaction and pride in
accomplishment is "payment" for the effort put in.

> Jean Womack
> Richmond, CA

Just my thoughts on the issue, Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque