Re:[teacherartexchange] Art Club

---------

From: Michael Hyland (hyland5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2006 - 18:13:08 PST

Thank you to everyone who sent suggestions for me! They are much appreciated!

WOW! I was amazed at our first meeting last week - I was expecting about a
dozen kids, maybe, and 44 KIDS SHOWED UP!! And this is from a Middle School
with a population of about 280 kids! I realize some will end up dropping out,
but they really seemed enthused when I mentioned the ideas of fundraising,
helping out with art work around the school and community, and working towards
a museum trip in May. So . . . instead of meeting with everyone every week,
which would be pretty overwhelming, I'm going to go with 2 groups meeting every
other week, and divide into 5th-6th together, and 7th-8th together. However,
one of our first "mini" fundraisers is going to be doing face painting at home
basketball games, so I'm having everyone come next week to practice, and then
we won't be able to meet again until after Thanksgiving break. Our principal
has given the OK for the facepainting, so I took suggestions for the kids on
what we should paint, and will work up some ideas they can practice on next
time.

So far, so good, but we've got to hurry if we're going to do Christmas
fundraising! Hobby Lobby had lots of Christmas "stuff" for 50% off today, so I
got some additional things we can work on this Thurs., to get started.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions - if you think of more, that's fine too!

Deb