Re: [teacherartexchange] How do you get a studnet teacher?

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2006 - 10:06:07 PST

>I would love to host a student teacher. How do you volunteer for that? I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area. There are several universities near me but I graduated fro OBU in Oklahoma.?
>
>Sue Cosgrove

If you bring good art teaching qualifications, you really should contact the placement person in the college and universities in your area. Let them know of your interest. Having a well prepared creative student teacher who has a good teaching personality can be wonderful professional development for both parties.

Always insist on an interview with the college student before accepting a placement. Ask some hard questions. Be very aware of the student's personality. You will be spending lots of time together. Never accept the student if you have any doubts that you will be able to provide a positive recommendation at the end.

Some college students bring wonderful creative ideas and methods. Others are parasitic. They make annoying demands and/or have nothing much to offer, only wanting to copy all your ideas. Some have no ideas or are know-it-alls. I have known some that complained about having to do record keeping, checking role, and all the "donkey work" for the teacher. You do not want this kind of student teacher. Some are enrolled in teaching courses to please their parents--not because they care about teaching.

I was the college supervisor for student teachers in art for over 30 years. My student teachers had the most satisfactory experience with teachers who held at least a master's degree in art studio or in art education. The least satisfactory placements happened to us when the students were placed with teachers who had switched to teaching art after being in another teaching area or in a none teaching career for a long time prior to teaching art. We also required at least three years of art teaching experience. If I knew the teacher, and I already knew how she or he was teaching, we made exceptions with good outcomes.

Having a good student teacher is the best of worlds and you may have a life-long friend. Having a bad one can be a real downer.

Marvin Bartel