[teacherartexchange] art club

---------

From: michelle yates (yates682002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2006 - 14:53:03 PST

Subject: Art Clubs
From: Michael Hyland <hyland5@netexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:15:43 -0600

Hi:

Well, I'm going to do it - start a Middle School Art
Club, that is.
Never
having been in one or anything, I'm not sure how,
exactly, to set it
up. I've
searched online for ideas, without much success

I was in the same spot last year by starting an art
club without any kind of knowledge of what to do.
It was kind of lame last year but this year we have
had a lot more fun and lot's of new ideas. Last year
I started with a $3.00 join the club fee and then
$12.00 for t-shirts. This year I told everyone that
it would be $17.00 to join and that included the
t-shirt. (We have participated in the homecoming
parade so a certain amount of money is needed just for
the float.

We meet every other Wednesday at lunch time. I have
about 30 who joined and 24 who come regularly. I have
made it a requirement that each member must get 15
service hours (of art) in order to qualify to go on
field trip to the museum. I make them sign in for
every meeting. We do all the crazy things that the
school "folks" are always asking for. Posters for
games, help changing out bullentin boards, artwork for
events like the winter concert with band. If the band
parents want we even provide art work for their
"fundraisers". It keeps that stuff out of my
classroom circulum and it lets the kids get involved
in community artwork. THEY LOVE DOING THAT STUFF! We
have started making jewelry. (Beaded earrings and
necklaces - so far it has been a huge hit!) I need
more supplies just for that.

We started out the club with a design the art
t-shirt. I decided to give each year a "theme". This
year it is "I heart art!" The kids got to design,
explain, and vote on their work and then they get the
thrill of seeing it "come" alive. If I had the
equipment I would even screen print it myself. I
teach at a k-12 school and only have 2 high school
girls that even show up at that level for art club
soooooooo I am hoping that I can get them to start
helping with the junior high kids.

I think the kids are really liking it and are psyching
up for the field trip (which does not happen until
May). Hope that helps you. If you come up with any
other ideas - let me know!